Custom Search

Your first Maple Leaf sweater? Share your stories- mine dates back to circa 1963

Recently I was chatting back and forth on Twitter with Michael Stephens, who many of you will know from the fine Maple Leaf Hot Stove web site.

For reasons I won't detail we were chatting about kids' books, and Michael raised the well-known book, “The Hockey Sweater”, which I believe was originally written in French but translated into English.  As Michael reminded me, the story has it that the child in the book sends away for a Montreal Canadiens hockey sweater (I’m probably getting this all wrong) of the legendary "Rocket" Richard.  But he receives, instead, a Maple Leaf jersey from the Eatons’ store he ordered it from. (Many of you will know that Eatons was one of the large Canadian retail store chains in Canada, an iconic name in these parts...)

In any event I know it was a very well received book (by Roch Carrier).  You probably know it better than I remember it.  Our kids are grown now.  But it did get me thinking back to the first “jersey” I ever received as a present.  And what a wonderful surprise it was.

In my “neighborhood” (a small town in Essex County, near Windsor, Ontario, across from Detroit) most kids cheered passionately for one of three teams:  the local team (the Red Wings), the hated Montreal Canadiens (we were a pretty large French settlement in those parts) and of course, my beloved Maple Leafs.  When it came to hockey jerseys, it was rare to see anything other than a Montreal or Toronto jersey and you only ever saw them when we played hockey on the local ponds and river.  (I’m trying to think back.  I don’t think I ever saw a kid wearing a New York Rangers jersey.  The Ranger crest has always been one of my favorites.  Maybe a couple of guys had Blackhawk sweaters, but I’m not a hundred per cent certain.  I seem to recall that was about it.  The Bruins?  I don’t think so, not in the early ‘60s when they weren’t very good, though they had a classic jersey.  And besides, it was not easy to find an NHL team sweater in those days.  It’s not like the merchandize that surrounds us nowadays, with people wearing them casually year-round.

In any event, the vast majority of the kids, again, stuck to the Habs and the Leafs.  And it was almost always the traditional home, dark uniforms:  the deep blue and white of the Leafs, and the classic red, white and blue (predominantly red) of the Canadiens.  I don’t know if those were the easier ones to get ahold of or what, but when we played shinny, as we did for hours on end on the ponds and also on the local winding river which bent around for miles and miles in our little town and surrounding areas, those were the colors you would see littering the freshly hand-shoveled ice surfaces:  the Leaf blue, and the Montreal red.

My first Leaf jersey was surprise Christmas present, one of the best Christmas presents I ever received.  I was probably 10, in and around 1963, I’m going to say.  I don’t know when it arrived (I assume it came by mail or some kind of delivery/courier in those days, but I had no idea because it was indeed a surprise…) but I received it on Christmas day.  In our part of the world, that was perfect timing, because that’s when things were really getting cold and we skated outdoors a lot over the Christmas school break and right through until the end of February most years.  (I was a bit older before the small town next to us got its first “artificial” ice rink, and for the first few years it was outdoors—it didn’t have a roof.  We eventually went big time and a roof was put on.  It made things a bit warmer, at least.  You weren’t constantly fighting the cold wind, like we did on the ponds and rivers…)

But you know what was really neat about my present?  Yes, it was a Leaf jersey, small size, of course.  (And yes,  I believe it came in an Eatons box. I don’t think they tried to tell me it was from Santa at that point in my life…)  And it was un-numbered.  (I have no idea if you could get them numbered in those days.  Probably they were available, but my parents were no doubt just happy to get the cheapest version they could find! We came from very modest means...)  But what I was so thrilled about, and what made it so special, was that it was an “away” jersey—the predominantly white sweater with the blue Leaf crest and piping.

Now, where I was raised, those things were rare, really rare. (The early 1960s hockey card photo that I still have of long-time Leaf Bobby Pulford, left, was from the same era my parents were able to purchase a Leaf sweater for me.  Very simple, but I thought it was great.) I was so proud to wear not only my Leaf jersey, but a kind that no other kid (at least that I can remember) wore at the time.  I think even as a kid I knew the material wasn’t like the pros wore or anything like that, but it was just so neat to have the white Leaf sweater.  I kept it for years.  (I think part of what made is so cool was that in the area where I lived, we only saw the Leafs play on Saturday nights, once a week, and it was always at home.  So we always saw them in their dark home jerseys on our old black and white TV.  Seeing them in "white" was unusual.  Even come playoff time, in the Detroit area the games were blacked out when the Wings played at home, so that white uniform was pretty "special" for me.)

Years before, at some point in the 1950s, one of my two older brothers (both huge Montreal fans) had been given a Montreal jersey.  We may have had a red one in the family but if so it was likely pretty ratty from all the wear.  But one of the boys definitely had a white Hab “away” jersey as well.  I thought it was beautiful, with the classic “CH” as the crest.  I was envious of my brother but the day I received my Leaf jersey, I had something of my own to be proud of.

Like a lot of people in those days (and today still, of course), our family didn’t have a lot.  We led a pretty modest existence in a tiny house with five kids.  But, also like so many people, we never went for anything that was truly necessary.

And every once in a while, something like a Maple Leaf sweater would arrive, and I would feel like a million dollars.

I know many of you must have had similar experiences.  I’d really enjoy hearing from you.  When did you get your first hockey sweater?

I look forward to you sharing your memories….

39 comments:

  1. Nice story, Michael, and great topic. Mine's a bit more recent, but can't ever forget...it was 1991. I had just received (with my Dad's help) my first credit card - an affiliate Leafs-MasterCard, and one of the offers was for a jersey with the vintage Leafs crest. I believe they wore those jerseys for original six match ups that year. Wendel (my Leaf 'hero' of all time) had been named captain in the off-season so I got my #17 with the C on it. Have worn it to games at the Gardens, ACC and Corel Centre. Still have it!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine came comparitively late... A number 27 with the 'C'. It must've been in the late 70's.
    I've now got a number 13... also with a 'C' that a friend brought back from Canada for me.
    Great topic!
    Mike Stroud,
    Johannesburg, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first real Leafs sweater was an Owen Nolan sweater. My mom picked it up for me when we were at the ACC for a Rock game a couple years ago, it was long after Nolan had left and wasn’t too much money. I still have it, although I prefer my Phaneuf sweater over the Nolan one these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phil Kessel, late last year. I saw it going on eBay and thought 'I'm having that'. The wonderful thing is that, being English, I'm not surrounded by hockey fans and so I always get pleasantly surprised when somebody engages me based on the fact I'm a fellow hockey fan. Just before Christmas, I was out on the town and getting the last Tube home when I came across a Bruins fan, and much fun was had chirping one another (I mentioned that his team won their sport's greatest honour and are still fourth in their city's estimation).

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first was a Christmas gift from my (habs fan) wife. A home white (back when they were doing it right and having the home team wear white) Belfour. I love it, even if it's a bit tighter now than it was then (and has a blood stain on it, but hey it's a hockey jersey)

    it's also a simpsons reference since in the line of "a rare photo of sean connery signed by Roger Moore" it's signed by CuJo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. first time commentor- love the blog, mike.

    my first leafs jersey was a felix potvin home jersey purchased by my parents when i was 9 ('94)at one of the old blue and white skills challenges at the gardens. it's likely still my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first Leafs jersey was a Mats Sundin circa 1999-2000, back when the home jerseys were white. For the next few years my friend and I rocked our jerseys for every single playoff game, and went out onto the street to get cars to honk after winning games. Great memories, especially the year we went all the way the EC finals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't that the ad line, Caedmon? ...."for everything else, there's Mastercard..."! Great memory. Thanks for sharing it here.

    Mike S., I'm really pleased that you took the time to visit the site all the way from South Africa- Sittler and Sundin, both wonderful Leaf names...

    Russel, thanks for posting here.....Nolan was a fine NHL'er who unfortunately had those injury issues here....Phaneuf, too? Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be26....I'm guessing "the Tube" is the subway in England? (I don't get out much!!). It's tremendous that you love hockey from dear old England (I love soccer, too, by the way- I generally cheer for the promoted underdogs in the Premier League...). You're right about the Bruins: Cup champs but far back of the Red Sox, Patriots and of course, the Celtics in terms of fan popularity in New England...Thanks for taking the time to write today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. elseldo- You guys must have pretty entertaining conversations when the Leafs and Habs get together on a Saturday night! I get the Simpsons reference, too...Belfour with a Cujo signature- that's great. Two pretty fine modern-era Leaf goalies, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jonny H...I appreciate that you enjoy the site. Thank you. Potvin is a great one to have (and from an exciting time in modern Leaf history....)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My first (and currently only) sweater is Darryl Sittler's. I'm only 24 and I live in England but my Dad grew up in Toronto in the '60s and a lot of my family's still there. So in turn I grew up hearing stories of Keon, Mahovlich, Ellis and the like and it made me obsessed with hockey history.

    The main reason I chose Sittler, however, is that I can't stand the attitude of most sports fans. I hate the Habs as much as the next guy, but I can look back at players like Beliveau, Richard, Gainey, etc. with respect and admiration; not an attitude I think most fans are willing to take with their rivals. But Sittler's the untouchable Leaf. The 10-point game, the '76 Canada Cup goal, the quiet dignity (especially after the death of his wife), his work with the fans; no-one in their right mind can say a bad word about him. Some might call it self preservation, but I can show support for my team and one of my favourite players without taking a whole lot of crap. Unless I find myself in Ottawa, I'm sure.

    "Oh, Sittler? He was alright."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Had a Gary Leeman jersey in 1988 when I was seven years old. He was my first favourite Leaf... unfortunately, I have no idea what happened to it. My uncle has about 10 gameworn Leaf jerseys including one with Dan Daoust's blood on it. He also had a seat from Maple Leaf Gardens adorning his "Leaf Room".

    Ian in Quebec

    P.S. I always find time to visit VLM.

    ReplyDelete
  14. goosemonster- so you were the guys causing all that honking after those big playoff wins between 1999 and 2004!!?? Thanks for posting. Don't ever throw out that Sundin jersey....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alex H. - great post, thank you for dropping by. (I hope you'll find the time to read some of the stories here on a few of those great old names you mention from Toronto and Montreal. I have a great deal of respect for those wonderful former Hab players, though I loathed them at the time!). Your comments about Sittler are absolutely correct. He has carried himself with great dignity through some difficult years....and was a fine player in Toronto for more than a decade. Glad you have his jersey....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ian in Quebec/Anon- thank you for taking the time to visit VLM. I appreciate hearing that. Leeman was an under-appreciated Leaf, had the big 50-goal season which led to unreasonable expectations. But didn't he win a Cup as a solid role player later with Montreal? Always a shame when we lose things- I lost a bunch of autgraphs my sister had managed to get for me when I was a little kid in the early 1960s...still stings! And little Dan Daoust- hard working Leaf...great memories there, too. Thanks Ian.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wendel clark jersey with the 17 and 'clark' on the back of the dark-blue jersey... back innnnnn 1992 or so. i was definitely very proud to own/wear this jersey (a christmas gift from my folks). great couple of seasons there. i should find it next time i go to my folks' house.
    at my apartment my band-wagon buddy who 'liked' the leafs for a couple seasons there before the lock-out, gave me his white jersey (a reebok i believe... a million little holes on it). i appreciated the gift, but it's never been the same for me as my clark jersey.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah, we usually have a special one...sounds like the Clark jersey is it for you, Alex C. Find that jersey! Thanks for posting on this topic...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just got my first leafs jersey for Christmas! A shiny new Jake Gardiner number 51 home jersey. I have a blast wearing it in Ottawa every time the leafs play the sens.
    The first Jersey I ever had though was my John Maclean Devils jersey. John Maclean was my best friend's uncle back when I was playing park league soccer and he used to show up in Oshawa every now and again and come play soccer with the whole team at practice. He got some genuine hero worship every time he did that, and I got a big laugh when I showed up to soccer practice one day wearing my devils jersey, especially considering he had just been traded to the Sharks that year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. DaveW...Carrying the Leaf flag in Ottawa- always takes gusts!

    Great story about your young soccer days. Funny you mention Maclean. I watched him a lot as a young junior in Oshawa. He just kept improving every year. Went on to have a fine career with the Devils...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I grew up a Whalers fan, so my first jersey was a tiny white Hartford Whalers jersey with my favorite player's name and number ironed on the back in vinyl font:

    #44 Dave Babych.

    I thought he had an awesome moustache and anyone with a moustache that cool couldn't be a bad hockey player.

    I would bang on the glass and show him my jersey every game during warmups and I'm pretty sure I was the only person wearing his jersey.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mine was definitely a foul. It was a youth version of an 80s sweater than had been my uncles. I had Gilmour put on the back but it was extremely cheaply done, those vinyl letters, ironed on. To the front I sewed on a 1993 Stanley Cup patch I had got on the front of a book.
    BUT it was signed by Doug Gilmour when I met him, so it's one pretty foul.

    ReplyDelete
  23. There was no way any of my brothers or I would have gotten a Leafs' sweater- farming in the 70's precluded having $ for such a frivolous item. It's funny- whenever I watch game footage from the early 90's and before, you see very, very few sweaters in the stands- makes me think the NHL has done a great job of making one "necessary" clothing for the fans, and for up $300 a pop, I can see why. Someday, I'll find a second hand Grabbo and I'll be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Chemmy...Babych sure had what seemed like an awfully long career- I seem to remember him most with the Jets, of course, but there were the Hartford years, for sure. (Might have a hockey card of him with the Whalers somewhere...) I well remember the great old moustache. Did he ever sign your jersey? I wish the Wahlers were still in Hartford, by the way...Thanks for posting here....

    ReplyDelete
  25. Danny...love the story....hey, you made it your own! And the Gilmour sig will always give it some special meaning for you, I'm guessing...good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  26. KidK...we sure have some similarities in our background...My dad farmed his whole life, (and one of my older brothers farmed for 25 years before becoming a lawyer...). We didn't have much money either for "frivolous items", as you put it!

    And I knew you'd get Grabbo in there today somehow. Well played....

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm like you Mike in that my first Leaf jersey was from Eaton's and I also got it for Christmas. If I remember correctly that would have been about 1949 or 1950. My brother got a red Habs jersey and I got the blue Leaf one. The other thing I remember about those jerseys was that they were not oversized so that shoulder pads would fit underneath. They were just regular sweaters that you got one size larger if you wanted to wear something underneath to keep you warmer.
    Lots of fun today reading all the posts on this topic!

    ReplyDelete
  28. My story is similar to your's Mike, I too, received mine on Christmas. It was a Steve "Stumpy" Thomas jersey. I loved the guy, and even remember trying to get my friends to call me "stumpy" even though, at the time I was a 6'0 seventh grader and still growing. I also was able to get it signed because at the time, Steve Thomas' son Christian was playing on the AAA Toronto Marlies with my younger brother. It has an "A" on it and it still is hanging up on the wall in my room back home. It's too small now, so I've transitioned to a Grabbo jersey. I love little guys who play with their heart on their sleeve, and defy the odds.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes, we shared the "Eaton's experience", Ed! That era (late 40s and early '50) of course was a huge one in terms of the Hab/Leaf rivalry, so it makes sense that you and your brother went for different sweaters! (And how true about the jerseys...they were made for wearing and playing, for sure, but that's my recollection too, that if you wanted to wear shoulder pads or something underneath, you would have had to get a bigger size. When we played on the river where I lived, we wore skates and a toque, and that was about it! Good to hear from you on this one. Thanks Ed.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jack H...Thomas was a tremendous Leaf, for sure. And I'm with you, smaller players (though Stumpy was a strong guy, with great strength in his lower body, too) like he and Grabbo earn the fans' appreciation in part because we know what they must have had to fight through their whole lives- being told they're "too small", etc....What a great memento to have, especially with a connection like your brother playing with his son. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Itchy. That's what I remember about my first Leaf sweater. A woolen (I guess) blue sweater, under the Christmas tree circa 1959, that got worn everywhere that winter. I remember wearing it OVER my winter jacket - the famous stuffed-sausage look that so may of us displayed during winters back then. It got worn for every game of hockey at the local rink, every game of hockey in my small backyard rink (where I often scored the Stanley Cup game-winning goal in overtime, then had to search for the puck in the snowbanks that lined the rink. How many remember finding pucks in the Spring in various locales in the garden?) That sweater made it through winter, Spring ball hockey, summer storage, and autumn peewee football, probably for two years, until I grew out of it. By that time, the elbows were out, the hems were frayed, the collar was torn - and it was still much beloved. It was 30 years or so until I got another, which featured that same "old style" maple leaf logo I love so much.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You've illustrated the feel, everything...perfectly Gerund O'. Itchy material, proudly worn until it fell off your back....playing hockey outdoors with snow banks. (My dad made a rink a couple of years in the late '50/early '60s...my older brothers used to pound shots off the old make-shift wooden boards they set up and disturbed the neighbours no end until the late hours of the night, as I recall...Those really were the days.....

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great blog topic, Mike! A bunch of friends chipped in to get me my first Leafs jersey a few years ago: a white Darcy Tucker #16 from the brief period when the uniform had no waist stripes. Tucker had been my favourite to watch when I lived in Peterborough, Ontario for six months during the 2002 conference finals run. But I didn't have the jersey long - it was stolen out of my car after I wore it to an Adelaide Adrenaline game here in South Australia less than a year later! I've since replaced it with a Jonas Gustavsson vintage third jersey, white with the blue shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for the kind comment Peregrine 11 and thanks for sharing your memories on this one all the way from Australia. Peterborough is a great place and a great sports and hockey town (they know their hockey...the junior team used to be affiliated with the Montreal Canadiens in the olden days when the Habs were the best organization in the sport...) Tough that you had the Tucker stolen (funny, eh, how we all remember particulars about jerseys...in reference to your description of the Tucker sweater...) Glad you've got the Gustavsson jersey to kind of make up for it...Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Speaking of Peterborugh and NHL connections, Peregrine11 and Michael, this is one of my favorite web pages-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterborough_Petes#NHL_alumni
    It's a breathtaking list for one junior team.

    ReplyDelete
  36. In 1970-71 my mom bought me a new style white home jersey. The front was a lace tie up. The colour ran down the sleeve to the cuff with the maple leaf stitched on each shoulder. The jersey was made for kids I remember the front crest was small and said "Maple Leafs" instead of Toronto Maple Leafs. Although I have seen a few of the later 1970's fan jerseys I have never seen one of these. Mom probably purchased it at Sears or Eatons.

    I was 10 years old and loved it. I wore it to my public school picture day. The girls gave me grief for wearing it but I loved that jersey.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for sharing that story, Den. As I recall, 1970-'71 was the season that the Leafs went to a brand new and very different look, as you describe in your note. Really nice jerseys (they switched and, as per league rules, wore white jerseys at home...)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm late to the show, having just found you via Twitter, but despite being a lifelong Leafs fan, I didn't get my first jersey until my bf at the time gave me one for my b-day about 11-12 yrs ago.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for commenting, sportsgrl...glad you found the site!

    ReplyDelete