Custom Search

A worthwhile cause this Christmas season


Some of you who visit Vintage Leaf Memories know that I post a lot of pieces on my memories from the ‘olden days’ as a Maple Leaf fan.

On occasion, I will post an interview I did when I was a young man in the broadcasting field back in the 1970s or early ‘80s.  Every once in a while I also conduct “new” interviews.  Over the past fifteen or so months I’ve enjoyed speaking with (click on their names to listen to the interviews) former Leaf defenseman Jim Dorey, Hall-of-Famer and 1964 Leaf Cup hero Andy Bathgate, the legendary writer Red Fisher and Pat Quinn, among others.

A while back I chatted with former Leaf goaltender Paul Harrison, who played with the Leafs in the late 1970s and early ‘80s.  For a time, Paul was the main back-up to Mike Palmateer.

Paul (shown at right in his playing days with the Maple Leafs) has led an exemplary life after hockey and has been instrumental in the success of the Ontario Provincial Police Drug Awareness program (D.A.R.E.).  He has influenced thousands of kids for the better over many, many years.

Paul contacted me recently about an effort he was involved with, along with another former Leaf netminder, Peter Ing.  They helped to send hockey equipment to young children in Ogoki Post in Northern Ontario.

People can only get to the First Nation Community by plane, and this is a wonderful initiative.  If you can help in any way, here is an e-mail link:  info@KidzCanHelp.ca 

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment